Sunday, June 12, 2011

London calling

On September 26th of this year, I will finally fulfill a life-long wish:

I'm going to London!! I've wanted to visit England ever since I read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe as a kid. It's only been worse since - I graduated in English Lit, for crying in the mud!

My dream of seeing London finally reached its tipping point when I watched Sherlock the other week (a great series, you should watch it). It's a modern-day version of the Sherlock Holmes stories and it's shot mostly on location in London. The city looks pretty amazing in the show and I finally decided: I've got vacation hours, I've got cash, I'm going!

One of my good friends, who lived in London for awhile, is going with me and I'm so beyond excited. My list so far includes the London Eye (because you have to do at least one cheesy touristy thing), Platform 9 3/4 (for nerd's sake), and an afternoon in Portobello Road. We're also going to make a pilgrimage up to Dublin to pay homage to the James Joyce statue. Those are our plans so far - if you have anywhere we must visit, please let me know. In the meantime, I will be counting down the days!

2 comments:

Baron von Chop said...

I am so jealous and excited for you!

Kit said...

Try Columbia Road Flower Market on a Sunday- it gets packed but is full of gorgeous flowers and right near Spitalfields Market (another favourite)

The viewing deck at the Oxo tower is also good (it's a bit further down the Southbank). If you go to the top, the restaurant, they have to let you onto the viewing deck even if you don't eat there- nice view of London!